Company OverviewThis exciting Venture Capital Fund focuses on investments in technology and healthcare. The current portfolio encompasses a range of companies including game development, online payment and other global businesses. This company has a strong and growing reputation amongst the country’s entrepreneur community, driven by a developing track record and an expert, high-energy team.
Job DescriptionThe Marketing & Communications Manager, Japan will be responsible for promoting the reputation and expanding the network in Japan in three ways:
1) Stage high impact events where the Japan team can convene and share unique domain expertise;
2) Help the Japan team and its key Japan portfolio companies establish and manage relationships with journalists and editors;
3) Devise and deliver other marketing initiatives to help elevate the brand e.g. newsletters, website content and tie-in with global projects.
This is a new role in Japan and should continue building the reputation of Communications & Marketing as a high-performing function within the business.
Detail of the role
- Events - Oversight and support for the events programme, supporting partners and team to deliver an annual programme of content-led entrepreneur events; this will include tailoring existing global events templates, marketing materials and approach to ensure consistency and local fit. It will also include innovation around internal meetings, e.g. biennial investor meeting, to ensure we are capitalising on the presence of the global team and investors
- Media relations - Regularly distribute press announcements in Japan focused on transaction and company news. This individual will work in partnership with the Japan investment team, and the London based Communications & Marketing team to draft press releases and distribution strategies. There is also the need to build stronger relationships with national and trade editors and journalists in Tokyo. The Communications & Marketing Manager, Japan will help track and manage these relationships, ensuring journalists are invited to relevant events, and setting up and staffing press meetings with the investment team
- Global strategy and initiatives - The Communications & Marketing Manager, Japan will tie into the global communication and marketing plan and ensure content is adaptable and fit for purpose for a Japan audience and that the needs of the Japan team are being fed back into global projects
- Portfolio support - Our reputation is built in large part by the success our portfolio companies. We are a hands-on investor and the Communications & Marketing Manager, Japan will offer support and guidance to a few of our key portfolio companies at milestone moments or when they need specific communications and marketing advice for example, when hiring their own teams or agencies, or liaising with the press
- Employee engagement - Communications & Marketing Manager, Japan will help keep track of team updates e.g. new team members and promotions, to ensure the needs and activities of the Japan team are represented within the internal communications programme
- Ad hoc project management and special projects – the Communications and Marketing is small and busy, working across a diverse set of responsibilities, the Communications & Marketing Manager, Japan should feel comfortable helping with items related to website/intranet/visual identity and social media e.g. feeding Japan relevant content back into the global Twitter/LinkedIn channels
RequirementsImpeccable communication skills - Excellence in both written and oral Japanese and English, superb attention to detail in written work, and comfortable presenting ideas at a senior level.
Comfortable with ambiguity and working independently - This is a new role in a fast-paced business, this individual will report to a manager in another country and time zone so needs to feel comfortable working independently, supporting the local Japan team while keeping in touch with the global picture. This role requires a minimum of 4 years’ experience in corporate communications, this could include agency experience.
Stakeholder management - Talent for building strong relationships with a broad range of individuals across multiple sectors and geographies, and at various levels of seniority, to successfully influence and advise. This includes management and negotiation of external vendors.
Collaborative mindset - Team player with proven interpersonal skills, able to build connections within the organisation, both on the ground in Japan and with colleagues around the world.